Monday, March 12, 2012

A Prayer of Thanks

Today is a little different. The prayer is going to be my personal letter of thanks to God. It was inspired by this story that i will post here later if I can find it, but for now, try writing you own letter, or just pray with mine. God gave us everything, this is the least we can do.

Dear God,
This is a letter to say thank-you. I know I don't say it enough. You gave me everything, and I am so quick to forget how much I owe You, how generous You are to me, and how much You love me not to demand anything in return. 
Thank you God for daylight, for the beautiful sunrises and sunsets.
Thank you for the things that reveal truth in my life.
Thank you for the little things that make us laugh.
Thank you God for the medications that keep me sane and breathing, and for the moments where I can't breathe that make me appreciate something so essential. Thanks you for the wonders that take my breath away and stop my heart. 
Thank you for the moments of insanity, for the coffee that keeps me awake in the morning, and for the friend that are willing to hit me and steal my coffee pot when I've had to much for my own good.
Thank you for good music, for intense feeling, deep thoughts, and the art forms that allow us to express those.
Thanks for family- those completely insane people that know we love.
Thanks for candles, and starlight, and water, and the mountains, and the wind, and rainstorms, and fresh air, and grass, and imagination, and heartbeats, and babies, and memory, and hope, and faith, and that wonderful thing called love...and...
Thanks you for coming to earth for me, and for being with me, and for always loving me, even when I don't love myself.
Thank you for forgiveness, and grace and the knowledge of You that carries me through the day.


I love You, and not for Your gifts- I am trying to love You for who You are. 
Please help me to love You and understand You more and more every second, of every moment, of everyday. 


Dwell in me. Make me like Yourself. Help me to be humble and grateful for my life.


Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment