Friday, March 9, 2012

Friday

For the Gift of Prayer
Gift of the Father given in Jesus' name,
Holy Spirit of God, come into our hearts
and teach us to say, "Abba, Father."
Teach us to proclaim, "Jesus is Lord."
Teach us to love God and to cling to him
through you, Spirit of Love,
who has been poured into our hearts.
And when our own prayers fail us,
you who know the will of God,
yourself pray within us, for us.

Amen. 
And thank-you Devotions to the Holy Spirit book I found on the bookshelf for that gem

Honestly, I don't know where my parents have collected some of these things from over the years, but I really like this one. It has a bunch of prayers, a couple novenas, is small enough to fit in my purse, and has Bible references that correspond to parts of the prayers. 

I choose this prayer today because I felt very prayerful today. I was aware of all the tiny prayers I said, like "thank-you God for Fruit Loops, because they are sugary and fruity and delicious" as I was eating in class, or grace at lunch, or the Our Father in the foyer. It felt really good to be in that prayerful state all day. 

This prayer is about that praying. About asking the Holy Spirit to help us to pray better, more often, and to help us to pray when we don't know what to do or say or how to approach God. 

This prayer helps me, I hope it is of some service to you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment